‘Tis the season. We get to carve pumpkins, go to parties, dress up in our favorite costumes, and even make our pet become a hot dog, unicorn, or any other of a plethora of ridiculous things. Most of our pets tolerate dressing up because they love us. If we tell them they’re the cutest dog, cat, bunny, guinea pig, or salamander EVER they might acquiesce to wearing their costume long enough to get pictures. It’s a wonderful time of year!

Smell My Feet

Of course, our pet may or may not like dressing up in costume, but they (usually) want to please us, unless they’re a cat or a curmudgeonly rabbit. In that case, they won’t bid you trick or treat. More likely they’ll secretly (or overtly, depending on their personality) command you to smell their feet. If you’re lucky, that’s what they’ll do, anyway.

Give Me Something Good To Eat!

All the treats! Halloween feet loaf, pretzel sticks covered in white chocolate to look like ghosts, mummy dogs, and cauldron-brewed punch. Quirky and festive, these foods are in keeping with the season and we enjoy them in all their weirdness. These foods, along with and, especially, candy, are staples of All Hallows’ Eve celebrations. While they’re enjoyable for humans, they pose a danger to the pets. To keep your pet safe on Halloween and during Halloween celebrations, they should not be allowed to consume:

  • Chocolate, including baking chocolate
  • Gum
  • Sugar-free candy
  • Any candy or food containing xylitol
  • Raisins
  • Hard candy

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is highly toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains, so it becomes increasingly toxic to your dog. Baking chocolate contains a high level of theobromine, making baked treats as dangerous (or more) than candy.

Xylitol is equally harmful to your dog. In addition to candy and gum, it can be found in peanut butter and even toothpaste. Xylitol poisoning can occur if your pet ingests as little as two pieces of sugar-free gum. It’s highly toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, or even death. If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate or anything containing xylitol, it’s crucial that you get them to a vet immediately.

Hard candy and candy wrappers (which your pet friend would be likely to snitch) cause intestinal obstruction while raisins can cause your dog to experience renal failure. Keeping your pet safe this Halloween means keeping a very close eye on what they eat, where the treats and candy are, and whether it’s possible for your pet to pilfer a perceived treat when you’re not looking.

Other Safety Tips

While food and potential poisoning is a significant hazard this Halloween, there are other safety tips to keep in mind:

  • Keep your pet away from open flames like candles and jack-o-lanterns
  • Consider your holiday décor carefully (cats like shiny things)
  • Examine your pet’s costume for choking hazards
  • Make sure your pet doesn’t overheat in their costume

Cloquet Animal Hospital

Cloquet Animal Hospital in Cloquet, MN is available to help your pet should they have too much Halloween. We hope you successfully implement our safety tips, though, so nothing scary happens to you or your pet bestie.