While the holidays are a wonderful time of year, they can create some unique risks for your pets. At Cloquet Animal Hospital, your pet’s health and safety are a top priority. Based on our years of experience with holiday mishaps, we have put together some helpful tips to keep your pets safe during this special time of year.
Many holiday decorations can be hazardous to your pet’s health. Your pet may try to chew on the new decor and, in some cases, may even ingest it. Tinsel and ornaments hooks are some of the most dangerous objects your pet can consume. Eating these objects can lead to digestive issues, intestinal blockage and can even cause your pet to choke. Try to keep your holiday decorations out of reach and monitor your pet closely.
Plants are also a concern when it comes to holiday decor. Plants like mistletoe, holly, and poinsettias can be toxic if consumed. Consider using silk plants to keep your pet out of danger. If you have a live Christmas tree, make sure you keep your pet from drinking the water in the tree stand. This water can contain fertilizer and other bacteria that can be harmful. Additionally, always make sure the tree is properly secured in case your cat decides to use it as their new jungle gym. You don’t want your tree to come toppling down with your furry friend.
Guard the Gifts
While you may be more concerned about the kids opening up their presents early, you should also think about keeping wrapped gifts out of your pet’s reach. The shiny ribbons and bows you use to embellish your neatly wrapped gifts can be a tempting toy for your cat or dog. If consumed, they can cause intestinal blockages and can be a potential choking hazard. Consider keeping gifts in a room that can be closed off to pets.
Hazardous Holiday Treats
While sharing your holiday goodies with your pet may be tempting, it isn’t always safe. Some food like chocolate, raisins, and grapes can be toxic to your pet. Additionally, certain ingredients such as xylitol can cause liver damage and may even be fatal. Xylitol is an ingredient found in sugar-free candy and baked goods. It can also be found in certain kinds of nut butter.
To avoid potential food dangers, it is always best to avoid feeding your pet human food and table scraps. Stick to pet-friendly treats and remind any guests that sneaking your pet table scraps is not allowed.
We understand that accidents happen, and our veterinary staff is here to help. Please reach out if you believe your pet has consumed something dangerous. You can give us a call at 218-879-9280. If we are closed, you can also reach out to the Pet Poison Helpline.
We hope these tips will give you something to consider as you plan your holiday celebrations. If you have any additional questions about your pet’s health or would like to set up an appointment, please give us a call. Keep your pets safe and enjoy this wonderful time of year!
Image credit: Pexels